Friday, April 6, 2012

Day 2 of the Vow of Semi-Silence....

Okay, so number one thing I learned today is I talk A TON!!  I really do not believe I ever realized just how much my day consisted of me talking.  It has been so nice to hear what others have to say for a change.  I am not saying that I never listened to people before, but usually, I was just waiting til they took a breath so I could say what I wanted to say.  (ugly confession #1) I am always telling the kids "when you are talking to someone and you want to say something, count 3 Mississippi's once they have stopped, and then begin speaking" (yes dad, I was listening :) )  Too bad I am not practicing this one anymore!!

So much of what I have been trying to teach the kids over the past few months about their mouths is EXACTLY what I need to learn.  Another example...

James 3:10  "From the same mouth come blessing and cursing. My brothers, these things ought not to be so"
(I think this is where we get the term "Kiss your mother with that mouth?"... Ha) I am always telling my kids you cannot say something hateful one minute and something sweet the next and expect the nice thing you said to have any affect.  For me, this is a "Praise your Father with that mouth?" kinda problem.  My no talking, also includes no singing (ouch).  As I was listening to praise and worship in the car with the kids, all  these words I just typed came to my mind.  All the time I am praising my Jesus, my Creator, and my Comforter.  Always telling Him "thank you" and worshiping who He is.  But out of that very same mouth, I am complaining, whining, disrespecting others (my husband mainly...ugly confession #2), yelling, grumbling, etc.... the ugly list goes on and on.  These things cannot be so.  I cannot have both things come out of my mouth and expect God to inhabit my praises.  Uggg, why does it take me so long to learn these lessons??  Now I am by no means saying that I have now mastered this problem and it will never happen again... by NO means.  But I am aware of it now, and I do know that if I want to be in the presence of the Almighty and if I want Him to respond to my words, I better watch them carefully!!

There are just no words to express the joy in my heart today.  I have had to speak some, to my grandparents, to the people at the garden nursery where I bought the organic vegetables we are planting tomorrow! (yay!!) And a couple of other times....But when I speak, it is different.  It isn't much and it is with careful humility, because I know I am supposed to be honoring a vow and I so desperately want God to bless it! 

My continued prayer my gracious and loving Father is that you will change me.  Give me a heart like yours and a love like yours.  When people look at me,  I want it to be You they see!

No comments:

Post a Comment