Saturday, February 5, 2011

It's Saturday and it's a blessing :)

So today is Saturday.  Nothing special. Just a day, with no plans.  But it is days like this that I am able to sit back and really SEE my blessings.  As I am typing, I am sitting at the kitchen table and McKain is here too.  He has his Legos that he has made into a submarine/destroyer and apparently Darth Vader is manning the ship.  He is making these great noises with his mouth as he is talking to and for the Legos.  Watching his little mind at work, taking these tiny pieces apart and then re-arranging them and putting them back together in a way I could have NEVER figured out, is a blessing.  My husband is sitting on the couch reading his Bible.  That's right, the Bible.  It's 5:15 on Saturday, and he is just sitting over there intently reading.  Some of you reading may be thinking, what?  But for me, this is a HUGE blessing!  The fact that reading his Bible is so important to him, that he will do it any free moment he has, literally melts my heart and makes me fall in love with him all over again. (by the way, McKain just told me Darth Vader came out of his body suit because his whole ship blew up and he has no leg...ha) PW is asleep....and we all know how precious they are when they are asleep.  And Samantha is with her Papa and Gigi on their way to take April and her crew home (more of my amazing blessings)
It is on days like today (which are rare) that I am able to take some time and just appreciate the simple blessings in my life. I used to always wonder why God allowed me to be born in the US and not in Ethiopia.  Why I was born into a family that does not live in poverty?  Why was I not born into a family that sales their children into slavery just to feed the rest of their family?  I still do not have the answers to those questions, but I do know my God and I know He does not do anything without a purpose. His purpose.  I remember the Bible verse that says to whom much is given, much is expected.(Luke 12:48)  This verse is not just referring to material things.  It is refering to love, joy, knowledge, peace, forgiveness, grace, and the list goes on. (Luke 7:47)(  As I sit back and observe all the blessings I have been given, I think about how much more I am expected to give.  How much love have I been given? How much peace? How much FORGIVENESS? How much joy? How much grace?  and how much of these things do I give back?  Do I/we really have a lot to be thankful for?  When we say we are blessed, what do we really mean?  and do we consider what is expected of those of us who are TRULY blessed?  Do we think about HOW we are blessed in each and every aspect of our lives?

I know, as good as most, how easy it is to get lost in the everyday life stuff.  I know how easy it is to let one, two or even 50 bumps in the day, ruin the whole mood of the day.  But I am trying more and more, to take those moments as they come, and give them to God.  Let Him manage them, handle them and deal with them how He sees fit, and then go on with my day serving, praising and obeying Him.  I just do  not want to get so wrapped up in the bumps that I forget about the blessings or the expectations!  I am blessed and because of that I am expected to be a blessing.....so, am I?

1 comment:

  1. Hey Michelle!
    Thanks for posting this... what a great reminder :)
    Much Love!
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete